Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jeremiah 15:18

Jeremiah asks God: "Why is my pain continuous, my wound incurable, refusing to be healed?"

The Lord tells Jeremiah that if he repents and turns to Him, he shall be in God's presence and become God's mouthpiece. God will save him and deliver him and make him strong among the people.

God never specifically says to Jeremiah that He will heal his wound; rather, He asks Jeremiah to allow his sense of woundedness to become an occasion for humility, grace, and conversion.

I believe God can and does heal all wounds in His time - but sometimes He allows us to continue to experience certain forms of suffering so that we can become channels of grace for others and for ourselves...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

No comments: