Sunday, March 28, 2010

Seraphic Book Launch!

Last Thursday evening, I had the pleasure of attending Dorothy Cumming's book launch at the Duke of York pub on Prince Arthur Avenue. Dorothy's book Seraphic Singles: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Single Life has been published by Novalis and is available for purchase here.

I had the distinct honour of being the second person in the world to have a copy of the book signed by the author! The inscription reads: "To Tina: The second one I've signed! Thanks for years of support. Grace & Peace, Dorothy Cummings, aka Seraphic."

It was a very pleasant gathering. The pub setting was cozy and I indulged in a hearty meal before the reading. The attendees were a friendly, sociable group and I noticed that several of us enjoyed a warming beverage before and during the book launch. I think the crowd consisted primarily of blog readers, acquaintances, and friends of Dorothy (I don't mean to use that last phrase euphemistically, although I'm sure chaste Catholic persons with same-sex attraction are among Dorothy's large and varied readership).

Dorothy, dressed in a lovely powder blue dress boldly accessorized with orange shoes and matching orange lipstick (please see her site for photos), read a variety of interesting and memorable selections from her book, including a poignant one entitled "The Cross That Singles Bear". This was one of the entries that first got me interested in her blog a couple of years ago.

Dorothy is now married and living in Scotland (although she travels back to Toronto for occasions such as these), and she continues to blog frequently. I recommend both her site and her book. Her writing is witty, insightful, and engaging, and her blog topics cover everyday life as well as a variety of current issues and events.

Here's an outline of Launch Day, in Dorothy's (Seraphic's) own words.

1 comment:

Seraphic said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Tina! I was delighted to see you there, and I'm glad you got to chat to people.

It was a fun time. I was embarrassed about kinda losing it while describing the crucifixion but, oh well. The crucifixion WAS really sad!

How interesting that it was one of the posts that made you keep reading! That's great. I love knowing that.

I'll be reading again, this time at U of T in April, and I'll let everyone know on my blog the exact details when I know them.

Take care, and have a blessed Holy Week!