Sunday, March 23, 2008

Jason Castro Singing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"

I heard this song for the first time a few weeks ago (just a few of the verses are sung here). For me, it stirs up something painful inside. It doesn’t jive with the joy I think I’m supposed to feel on Easter Sunday. But something rings true for me in those lines: “Love is not a victory march. It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah.”

In some ways, Easter has been anti-climactic for me. Christ is risen, my sins have been forgiven. There will be perfect, eternal joy in heaven. And yet, today, I was still the same person with the same concerns and the same weaknesses. I still have to go through the trials and struggles of this life. Easter Sunday hasn’t taken away any of that. We still have to complete our earthly journey.

Sometimes my Hallelujahs are also cold and broken, Lord, even though You've done so much for me. Please accept them anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would like the rest of Leonard Cohen then.

W