Sunday, March 30, 2008

That Peaceful, Easy Feelin'


I've had a lovely weekend! Two old friends came by on Friday evening – one of them has three boys now, and she brought them along too. I’d last seen her fifteen years ago, when her oldest (then her only one) was a babe in the crib! It was fun catching up.

On Saturday, I took Mom to the Farmer’s Market and the grocery store. Picked up lots of goodies (red and yellow peppers, celery, tarragon, thyme, shrimp, crab meat, brandy, cream, etc.) to use in the seafood chowder I cooked later that night. It simmered in the crock pot for a few hours and turned out quite nicely, if I say so myself!

Mom and I went to the Saturday Vigil mass, came home, and I began cooking. We turned out the lights, except for the stove, surface light and a couple of lamps during Earth hour, to do our part in conserving energy.

Today the power was out for a few hours as they did some work on the power lines. Mom opted to stay home and I took Nana for a long drive. We drove through a couple of our old neighbourhoods – Etobicoke and Mississauga – and looked at the places we used to live years ago. Then we drove out to Niagara-on-the Lake, where we had a nice lunch at The Epicurean in the historic Old Town. It was chilly, but we still walked around for a little bit and picked up some chocolate cashew clusters at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory – mmmmmm…….

Said the Divine Mercy Chaplet with Nana on the return ride home, listened to the soundtrack of "Return to Me", took Mom to the library, and picked up some good movies to watch this week.

I feel rested and relaxed now, and it’s good to be with my family on a Sunday evening. Sundays used to be hard days for me when I lived alone and far from my family. I usually planned ahead of time to do something with my friends on Sundays, to stave off that lonely feeling. Now, I can always hang with Mom and Nana on Sunday, and that just feels right! :)

No comments: